Thursday, September 13, 2007

Own or Rent?

A Perspective on Possessions

I’m studying for a sermon on Acts 4:32-37, a passage describing the profound unity and mutual care in the Jerusalem church. On the table in this text is that dreaded subject, money:

Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. Acts 4:32
I need to give most of my time today to study and sermon writing, so this post is intentionally quite short. It’s just a helpful little analogy I found earlier this week as I was reading a book by Ralph Doudera, a highly regarded Christian investor. He writes:

My mentor, Evangelist Tommy Tyson, at one time considered joining a commune where everyone owned their property in common. God prompted him to take his wallet out of his pocket and count the money inside, asking him where he got the funds. Acknowledging that it was a gift from Him, he felt God say to him, “If you will accept everything as a gift from Me, and you are willing to use it as I guide you, then I don’t mind if you carry it in your own pocket.”

This concept has been helpful to me regarding the material things that I own. For example, if I had a rental car that was stolen, I probably wouldn’t get very upset, just report it to the authorities and get another one. But if “MY” car was stolen…? If only I could have this mindset for all my possessions. (Wealth Conundrum)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone said, "Hold all things lightly and nothing tightly." I try to remember this...